Sunday, January 25, 2009

SWA #3

The article I chose was one from The Daily Gameock about having vending machines in the bathrooms of resident halls. <http://media.www.dailygamecock.com/media/storage/paper247/news/2008/01/29/News/Condom.Access.Challenged-3173104.shtml?reffeature=recentlycommentedstoriestab>

This arguer wants us to believe that placing condoms in vending machines can give the university a negative image. Resident Hall Association Sen. Jim Manning, has said that many students have agreed with him on the issue, but lately many students have given different responses. Manning feels as if the vending machines are promoting sex to the students and that parents, and future students may look at the situation differently. Those who are in favor of the bill argue that the Thompson Student Health Center already gives out free condoms for students, while others argue that the health center is not always open 24 hours. Manning also says he doesn't want parents of future students to come tour the campus and be turned away from letting their child attend USC. A few people commented on the article, and one woman said this has been the same argument going on for 20 years after she has already graduated. Personally, i think its going to be an ongoing argument for a long time, and people will continue to find reasons and evidence on why it is a bad idea or why it is a good idea.

2 comments:

  1. Dana did a very good job when it came to discussing the arguement about comdoms in the vending machine. I found that her blog was very interesting and it kept my attention. I also think that it was a good idea that she picked an article that was related with our school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you did a good job of getting to the point and making it clear what you thought about this subject. I think that putting the machines in the halls is a great idea anything we can do to lower early pregnancy. I see were Manning is coming from but I also think that parents really need to learn to let there children grow up and they should look at this as if the school is trying to promote safer sex and keep girls from getting pregnant so soon.

    ReplyDelete