Tuesday, January 13, 2009
Writing Assignment 1
My best writing experience was my senior project in highschool. We were able to choose any topic that we wanted to, research it, and then write about it. Picking something that I was interested in made the experience a lot easier and I actually enjoyed writing it. Even though the paper had to be 6 pages long, it wass really easy since I already knew a lot about what I was writing about, and there were no guidelines as to what we could and couldn't put in the paper. My most frustrating writing experience was actually last semester in my english 101 class. We had to read Foucault's Panopticism, and then write a 4 page paper on how it related to the real world. The reading was very hard to understand on it's own, so writing a 4 page paper about it made it even harder. The hardest part was fitting the little ideas that I actually had into 4 pages. My senior project affected me the most because I was able to write about something that really interested me. Our teacher told us to just pick a topic and start writing. I think it was much more effectful than writing about something that you don't undersand.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

It really is very challenging to write about something you have a hard time understanding. However, that assignment was forcing you into something that is a common overall challenge in academia: stepping out of your comfort zone and trying to develop a better understanding of something by means of writing about it.
ReplyDeleteI agree with when you say that your best writing assignment was when you could pick what you were going to be writing about and in doing this it made things easier for. It's a lot easier to write about something that you are passionate about and you truely understand versus something you could care less about and confuses you. And I also see were you come from in saying that last semester you had a hard time writing that easy because if you don't understand something then how are you supposed to write about it.
ReplyDeleteIt's so true when you said writing about something that is hard to understand is a frustrating experience. Forcing yourself through a reading doesn't leave much room for creativity in your writing. I agree with your best writing experience because it is very similiar to mine. It is much better to write about something your actually interested in!
ReplyDelete