Dana Pfeifer
English 102
Topic Proposal
March 2, 2009
This issue I chose for my exploratory paper is the dui laws across South Carolina and how new laws are being put into effect. Recently, the DUI laws in South Carolina were changed, making punishments harsher and heavier if you are caught drinking and driving. Police around South Carolina have even installed a device into the cars of people who have already been caught drinking that they have to blow into when they get into their cars. I’m also showing the issue that the laws are different across different states and how they are stricter in other places.
This issue was really interesting to me because I have had a friend who was killed in a drunken car wreck, and the driver was not charged like he should have been. If it were to happen today, the driver would be charged with a strong offense. The police and law enforcers across South Carolina feel that this new change in the law can help save lives and protect the citizens of South Carolina.
My first position for my paper is that the DUI laws in South Carolina are now being enforced a lot harder than they were before. My other position is that they are changing and how they are different laws than they are across the United States.
Personally, I’m for the new laws being enforced and the changes they are making against those who are getting second and third offenses of driving drunks. I think I’m really going to enjoy writing this paper and will have personal experiences to add to the paper as well.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Dana, it looks like the “positions” you list are not positions but facts. You need to explore different attitudes/perspectives towards the facts you have mentioned. Your first position would be, naturally, that government officials felt that the new law improves X because of Y. Your next two perspectives would be probably from people who are unhappy about the change and others who may be either happy or unhappy abut them, but for other reasons than in the first two positions.
ReplyDelete